Search This Blog

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Sunday Stitchers; UFO Challenge...

This year I'm joining the others in my stitching group as we each tackle our pile of unfinished projects. The idea was that we would each make a list 1- 12 of such projects and then each month a number would be drawn. Then we would work on that number project on our list; as long as some progress was made, there would not be pressure to finish a project within the month.
 For the last year or so, on and off, I've been sorting through the boxes, shelves and cupboards of my sewing room and as I came across UFOs, I would put them in a plastic crate. So this made it easy to make a list...

Before we drew up the list, we had been told that the number for January would be 2, so of course I chose a simple project. It was simply to bind a baby quilt made with flannel squares. It was always intended to be given to Knitting for Brisbane's Needy, but had languished without binding for quite a while. It didn't take long to finish...

The backing was some polar fleece...

And by the end of January it had been despatched to K4BN 'headquarters' 👍 Compared to the stunning work of my fellow Sunday Stitchers, it was a very humble effort but it was a finish and it would benefit someone...good feeling!
The number for February was 12. My #12 was to continue working on a cot quilt, made in EPP and using my Liberty Print stash. Continue??? Lol. That should read START stitching, as before February, it was a pile of hexies cut out and paper basted. At our February SS meet up, I showed my progress...just one corner!

That was the third Sunday of February, but by then the project had me hooked! So any spare moment for the rest of February I worked on this project and last weekend I took another photo of my progress.

After doing the pink stripe, I went back to cutting; this time orangey yellows.

By then though, it was time for March's number, which is #10. And it's another EPP project! 'Use the long hexies in Christmas fabrics to make something'. Very vague isn't it?  Usually at the SS monthly meet ups, I spend some time basting these shapes, but haven't actually turned the shapes into anything...

So hopefully I will have a completed item by the next meet up, but if not completed, it will have been some progress made.



6 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

Such a great idea to pick out numbers. The hexies are beautiful, the wonderful array of colour is a delight.

Susan said...

It is a good "no pressure" incentive isn't it? I see that corner has grown quite a bit...wonder what those Christmas hexies will become . . .

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I love the little prints in your hexies. Backing the quilt with polar fleece is a great idea. I don't think I have seen that before and I think I'll try that on a kid's quilt. What a great idea for your group to determine what you will work on this year. Such a win/win idea.
xx, Carol

Vireya said...

Good luck with working through your UFOs!

I was in schemes like this for the last couple of years, and did get a few things finished.

Sharm said...

I've been thinking about doing this ...... I really need to make up my list - good work on getting into yours!

Jackie said...

I was trying to make my way through both fabric an yarn stashes and was on a roll. Until I took a roll at the beginning of Feb and broke my wrist.

Now i get to watch others finish projects and really gather even more ideas.

You are moving right along.

God bless.