Search This Blog

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Wool on Sundays...

I have a few knitting and crocheting projects on the go at the moment but last week I decided to put them all aside temporarily to do some work on joining donated squares...a task I have been assiduously avoiding lately as I've been so busy working on other things. Lol.
I've had a big bundle of the smaller knitted squares ( 8 inches square) for a while, and as individual squares they aren't much use to needy people. And I was feeling just a bit guilty about having done little with them.

 On and off this year, I have been sewing these into strips...I join the squares on the cast on and cast off edges. But I didn't get very far without being a bit 'sidetracked'. 


In the last day or so I've been crocheting a row of dc ( US sc) along the edge of the strips to give a firmer edge to join. 
Progress seems slow, but it won't be long before all 7 strips will be edged and sewn together, making a good sized blanket. 
Earlier in the week I got to work on some of the crocheted squares I had been given...I was on a real roll and managed to make 3 blankets before moving on the the knitted squares.
I have enough donated crocheted squares to make at least 3 more blankets; including the granny squares I crochet at Knit and Natters. DD1 gave me another bag of squares recently, making 3 lots she has done this year...they say that 'the apple doesn't fall far from the tree' 😉
And then I will need to take a break from joining squares as the 'word is' that another baby blanket will be needed by my nephew and his lovely wife ( in 22 weeks or so) and I believe a mermaid tail blanket could be needed for another little relative.
Linking up with Wool on Sundays.

7 comments:

Kim said...

Oodles of woolly loveliness in this post, Maria. How wonderful of you to join all those squares into blankets for charity.

Anonymous said...

Good family news! Congratulations are in order. I'm amazed at how fast the crocheted blocks go together. The knitted blocks look pretty great, too. So what charity are these for? I don't remember, though I know you've mentioned it before.

margaret said...

you will certainly have plenty of blankets to give to the charity when these are completed, especially love the colourful crochet ones. A baby to look forard to too, how lovely

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Lovely stitched pieces. And a new baby!! Contratulations! Lots of new stitching is in your future. Hand stitched blankets are such a wonderful way to show your love.
xx, Carol

Jackie said...

Fantastic way to use up all the bits and pieces of yarn and a lovely way to use the finished product. I am sure they will be greatly appreciated.

God bless.

Cynthia said...

The blankets always turn out so pretty, Marie. I know how they must warm and brighten the lives of those who receive them.
A new baby? How wonderful!!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Gorgeous blankets, Maria. I actually dread the sewing up stage. It's wonderful that you do all this joining :)
Congrats to your nephew and his wife. I'll look forward to your mermaid tail.
Thank you for linking up with Wool on Sundays :)