Search This Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Food for thought...

Earlier this month my brother celebrated his 60th birthday. I had asked my sister in law what she would like me to bring as a contribution to the meal. Eventually she suggested I bring a dessert or 'something sweet to have with coffee'. 
We rarely eat such food but I thought I'd buy in some provisions and make something like brownies or caramel slice; cooking from scratch...just like I used to do. But I've got to a stage in my life where I don't hesitate to 'cut corners' on the odd occasion...especially if it gives me more time for crafting! Lol. 

With this in mind, I bought a Betty Crocker Brownies mix, some tiny vanilla slices from the freezer at Coles and visited Aldi and checked out their 'sweet stuff'. I also bought some coconut and a tin of condensed milk. With the latter I made a big batch of rum balls from some packets of sweet biscuits that had been languishing in the pantry. 
And I also found this tin of cream wafers ( chocolate) and they were put in the food processor too with the other biscuits...



So technically I only made the brownies ( albeit from a packet) and the rum balls...the rest I only opened packets...


And this was the 'finished product' all ready to take to the party...
And...the family ate all the Aldi 'stuff' and the Coles' mini vanilla slices...my 'baking' was hardly touched. But my neighbours had a wonderful morning tea over at my place the next day so all was not lost! 😉

11 comments:

Lin said...

Looks delicious - I would want to try one of everything! xx

Lin said...

Well, probably more than one truffle LOL

Una said...

I wish I had cupboards like yours. All I find is empty packets and crumbs! But your tray looked delicious.

angela said...

That wouldn't last long here. But not God for the diet. Looks very yummy indeed

Susan said...

Isn't that interesting -- you will know for next time - a packet is definitely the way to go for you - else you end up with a lot of left over pantry goods.
It all looks delicious.

Vireya said...

The whole plate-full looks very inviting to this chocolate lover. I wouldn't have left the home-baked ones untouched. Good for the neighbours, I guess, but a shame when you had made the effort!

margaret said...

mouthwatering I too am an Aldi shopper, one opened up about 18 months ago here. The brownies look delicious. Have not baked for at least 3 years and no plans to do any!

diane b said...

Thats the way to do it. The rum balls would have been my favourites.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Great selection of sweets. We don't have them around the house much for Terry and I, but my grandson (21 who lives with us) likes his treats. Mostly when I make brownies, he likes to top them with ice cream. I must admit I like them that way too!
xx, Carol

Kim said...

How delicious your overflowing plate of goodies look. Can't imagine why your baking didn't vanish. Lucky neighbours!

Cynthia said...

Oh, that looks so yummy! I would have had to taste one of everything.