Search This Blog

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Wool on Sunday...

Once more linking up with Janine of the Rainbow Hare Blog Wool on Sunday. This week Janine shared photos of a magnificent ripple stitch throw that she had crocheted and writes about her latest project...another throw.
I mainly knit throws these days and try to have a stash of main colours on hand. These are usually navy, black, grey which contrast well with bright colours. Most times I like to use wool for these main colours and the first preference is yarn from Bendigo Woollen Mill, a proud Aussie firm. 

I was lucky enough to visit BWM a few years back and saw the yarn ready for dyeing
Sometimes, I prefer a good quality acrylic yarn and have used Red Heart, Panda etc, but my absolute favourite is the British brand, King Cole. ( discovered while on holiday in the UK) Earlier this year, a friend sent me an email with a voucher from a UK company called Love Knitting. The voucher gave 10% off an order plus  free postage for my first order. So I took up the offer. Within 10 days my parcel arrived! 




And look how beautifully the yarn was packaged...organza bags!


And this is the project that I've been doing, using this lovely yarn...


It's yet another slipstitch pattern...a favourite of mine, honeycomb. 
The greenish yarn is an eBay buy from quite a few years ago. It's Robin Napoli which I suspect was discontinued many years ago. I bought 20 balls of it and after all this time, still had 17 of those balls left. ( I spent far too much money too...got carried away! Lol) So it was time to use them all up. 'Doing the maths', I suspected that the 17 balls wouldn't make the throw long enough, so after every 4 repeats of the pattern, I am doing one repeat using a contrast colour. 
The Robin yarn is rather lovely with little 'nubbly' bits of turquoise and aqua contrasting with the teal.
This throw is not intended for any particular recipient; it's just knitting for pleasure and to use up some beautiful yarn that's been in the stash too long! Mind you, the throw might end up being donated to the annual parish arts and craft show in July...you just never know! πŸ˜‰
 

8 comments:

Craftandothercrazyplans said...

That is going to be one awesome throw! The slip stitch looks great with those colours. I use King Cole sometimes too, it's a brand which often gets overlooked here but I quite like it. Keep knitting! 😊

Craftandothercrazyplans said...

That is going to be one awesome throw! The slip stitch looks great with those colours. I use King Cole sometimes too, it's a brand which often gets overlooked here but I quite like it. Keep knitting! 😊

Kim said...

I love the colours in this throw, Maria and the pattern is lovely. I always knit in pure wool. I have been disappointed with the final result when using acrylic; there are always too many pills and it always seems to stretch. My mother's words "always knit in pure wool" still ring in my ears. =)

Jackie said...

Beautiful!!! I love the colours in the throw. It is going to be very striking.

God bless.

Lin said...

Your throw is going to be gorgeous Maria - I love the colour. xx

margaret said...

that was a great offer you do not often see free postage to another country. Throw is looking lovely about time you used that wool!!!! Mind you I can`t talk I have so many threads that need using must get some embroidery on the go

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Your colours are gorgeous and the pattern is beautiful. This is going to be a stunning throw :)Thank you for linking up with Wool on Sundays :)

FVITH said...

What an interesting pattern. I look forward to seeing this one completed.