Search This Blog

Monday, February 15, 2016

Wool on Sundays...

Linking with Janine's ( from the Rainbow Hare blog) Wool on Sundays. 

On January 8 this year I wrote a post here about my Knitted Minestrone scrap project which had been an 'on and off' project since early 2011...well maybe more 'off' than 'on'! Lol. Back in January, I was rather chuffed about the progress and that my knitting mojo seemed to be back!
But I'm even more chuffed now, as yesterday I knitted my last stitch, wove in the 4 'ends' on the side borders, and voila! I'm finished!!
And I love it! And I'm pretty sure I will keep it for me...just for a change. But...I know I would part with it if there was someone in need that it could help...but for now it's staying here. 
Details; the throw is knitted on 4.5 circular needles and I cast on 230 stitches for the main part.
I alternated bands of scrappy stocking stitch with black garter stitch bands. 
There is a variety of yarn types and textures but I used mainly 8 ply equivalent weights but some of the mohair scraps were more like a 12 ply.
After I got to the length I wanted, I 'picked up' and knitted stitches down the sides to complete the garter stitch border.
When I started this project in 2011, I didn't know about those clever yarn joining ideas that are around. This is one method called the 'magic knot' that I know of, but there are a few out there. But  my scraps of yarn were just tied together and I wove them in as I knitted.

And I plan to continue saving scraps of yarn for a new 'Minestrone' throw, so that means I need to start some new projects so that I can start to build up that scrap supply again! I do have a little bit of the 'Mystery Ball' of yarn left though.

8 comments:

Jackie said...

Very pretty blanket. I love it.

God bless.

Vireya said...

Great result!

I knitted a vest like that for myself in the 70s. I can't remember now if the plain bands were dark brown or black, but the coloured stripes were various left-overs. I had them facing purl side out, to maximise the mixing of the colours. Wonder whatever happened to that? Not that it would fit me now, of course!

doodles n daydreams said...

It looks so much bigger than I thought it would be.

Diana

margaret said...

this will keep you warm come winter such a good way to use up left over wool

angela said...

Love how you use up all the odds and ends. I'm doing that now and hopefully I'll have a few blankets for the salvos just before winter blanket appeal. I think they make the nicest blankets. Truely one of a kind xx

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is stunning! And such a clever way of using up scraps. Thank you linking up with Wool on Sundays :)

Craftycreate said...

Love the colourful scrap yarns it all blends well together

Cynthia said...

Minestrone s a great name for it. I love the colors and textures and I would keep it, too!