Search This Blog

Monday, February 29, 2016

The first day of Autumn...

In Australia the seasons change on the first day of the first month in each season, so March 1 is the start of Autumn or Fall. In most parts of the country, we've had some very hot summer days.
This is one way that Eduardo copes with the heat...

Lying on his back, catching the afternoon breezes!

And here in Brisbane there are not a lot of trees that start to lose their leaves as Summer turns into Autumn...but those crepe myrtles sure do! These trees at the side of our property have been shedding leaves for a few weeks now...
It's a daily job to sweep up the leaves from the veranda. 
But just because Autumn has arrived, the hot temps won't ease...the weather won't start to cool for a few months yet. But that's life in the sub tropics. 
Regular readers would know of my 'battles' with the bush turkeys, to grow veggies and herbs...these birds dig up anything I plant in Spring and early to mid summer. So Autumn is the time I plant up a crop, hoping to grow and harvest before the turkeys come back on their 'seek and destroy' missions.

The quarry tile in the foreground isn't for throwing at any errant turkeys, it helps hold down the big umbrella that I sometimes put over the young plants in the middle of the day to stop them 'frying' in the hot sun. These plants are well established now and are fine with the sun. So I'm hopeful of being able to pick some homegrown tomatoes, eggplants and herbs, just like I used to before the bush turkeys took a liking to our backyard. :-)


 

7 comments:

Susan said...

Wouldn't it be nice to slip stright into Autumn?
Those bush turkeys are such a pest...I know you wouldn't use the tile on them . .

margaret said...

hoping you will have a lovely autumn here in the UK it is the first day of March we have had the warmest february ever but the forecast for later this month is for very cold, snow etc! I wonder do you get the lovely autumn colours that we get?

Dorothy said...

Oh just look at that sweet Eduardo !! Such a hard life isn't it? We have a constant battle with leaves and they cost me an arm and a leg to get rid of them off the roof. We have a couple of large gum trees (one at the back of my yard and a couple in the next door neighbour's) ... they drive me nuts as its a never ending battle. My daughter rakes (or blower vacs) the front courtyard and that takes her ages as its quite large but I have to get a handyman/gardener to clear the roof. Good luck with your plants. xox

Lin said...

Good luck with your crops Maria. xx

Cynthia said...

Cats certainly know how to relax! We have wild turkeys here, too, but they don't bother gardens. We have ours fenced for the the deer as they are big pests.

angela said...

Here in southern Victoria my trees haven't even started to turn yet! The hot weather is predicted to continue for a few weeks yet. But every day I go out and check to see what the trees are telling me. So over this heat. Bring on the cool days and nights I say

Claud said...

Sweet Eddie!He looks so content napping in the porch. Please give him some kisses from me and the boys. Big hug to you my friend.