Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Possibly the most useful Christmas gift I've ever received...

I'm short...there's no denying it! I can dress it up with phrases like 'vertically challenged' and 'good things come in small packages' but when it comes down to it, I'm still short. And I'm fine with that. 
When we were in London last year, I stood outside Ripley's, beside a statue of reportedly the world's tallest man...boy did I feel tiny! Lol

But these next photos are with real people in my life...yep! I'm still shorter than them.
Photos show, former student, family and lastly work colleagues...

The only real problem I have with being short is that all my life I've stretched and strained, stood on tippy-toe to reach things on shelves etc. in my classroom I even had a little stool that I used to stand on to reach the top of the blackboard/whiteboard. And as the years went by it was obvious that I needed something similar at home as the cupboards in the kitchen went right to the ceiling...I couldn't even see what was stored on those high shelves! Lol

One year I walked out to the kitchen on Christmas Eve and there was a gift for me from my 3 stepdaughters...it had a big red ribbon tied to it...
And it was a small ladder...
It gets used every day...
All those high shelves...in the kitchen...
In the sewing room...
And every other room if truth be told! 
My little stepladder has meant I can be independant when I need something from the higher shelves. It's also used in the garden...and when I wash my car. And even though he's pretty tall DH uses my ladder too! 
Just the other afternoon he used the ladder while he put up the coloured festoon lights on the side verandah. 

I'll finish with some memes about being short...
And now you know why I think the girls gave me one of the best presents ever :-)

6 comments:

creations.1 said...

Even at 5'6" I am always stretching to the top shelves - I too have a stepladder that I use for all sorts of things. At least being short I can't see the dust on top of the fridge or the cupboards - and I can live with that!!! Having 6ft sons is a help at times too!!

Bette said...

I can so relate to the purple meme. So many times I've been blinded while driving because the sun visor doesn't work. But you know what they say: good things come in small packages.

Susan said...

Such a positive attitude! I have little step things in my sewing room and walk in wardrobe - and a small ladder thing in the garage....and don't hesitate to get DH to change light bulbs etc.

Cynthia said...

Funny. I'm the shortest in my family but I don't think of myself as "short". Well, my 6 year old grandsons are shorter but they are catching up. I can already wear their shoes. :-). Hooray for step ladders and step stools. They reside in my kitchen also.

margaret said...

I always found I hated as a teenager being so tall, 5.10 in the olden days was tall, boys were shorted at the dances etc, now I am elderly I have shrunk a couple of inches according to the Dr no sure where the 2" has gone as my clothes still fit but still feel too tall!! Here the things I used are in the wall cupboards and not used in the floor ones.

Aussie Maria said...

You are not alone :-)
I can't say I'm 5' :-( Whenever I do, they need to measure and I get caught out - hahaha
My ladder is a constant and well used companion too