Search This Blog

Friday, November 13, 2015

Spring in my garden...

I wrote this post before I went to hospital for my op. I figure it's about time that I publish it :-). There's no mention of my veggie garden beds because they have unfortunately been the focus of attention to 2 female bush turkeys, who took it upon themselves to visit every day and dig over and re-dig the 3 beds. I admitted defeat...no home-grown herbs and summer vegetables this year. Strangely these birds have no interest in the shrubs and small trees, so there is still some garden to look at! lol


Here in the southern hemisphere, we are in the second month of Spring. Admittedly though, here in Queensland, the difference in weather between the different seasons is only slight. Many of the shrubs and trees in the garden started flowering in winter as it was quite warm this year!
The dianella is flowering; after the flowers there will be berries of the most brilliant blue.

 Here's a better photo than mine...from the web...

This year the garden has had to look after itself, so these 'old favourites' in the collage have done a pretty good job staying alive and then flowering...

I was a bit slow getting a photo of the brunfelsia. It's also known as the Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow plant as the flowers start as a mid purple, fade to a mauve and finally they fade to white. The photo shows mainly the 'white stage'.
Along the back boundary of our yard we have some self sown (volunteer) trees that burst into flower each Spring and bring an extraordinary number of bees. When the blossoms are out there are so many bees that I can hear the humming/buzzing from the house!
One of my daylilies...

In the next collage there is a photo of a hippeastrum; out of all my 'hippies' only 2 flowered this year :-(
This plant was a cutting from a friend which has done very well looking after itself. This photo was taken a week or so after we trimmed it; it rewarded us with a lot of new flowers.
Another favourite which is thriving with no help from me!
The frangapani is not only getting new leaves shooting but a few flowers too. 
Some birds enjoying the nectar in the grevillea flowers...

And flowers are still on the jacaranda....

I've done some dividing up of my bromeliad plants and have planted these in the few areas where the plants didn't do so well being neglected. Good old 'broms' will soon fill in any gaps. 



 

7 comments:

Susan said...

Some lovely specimens there....it's often the self sown plants that do the best.

Una said...

I'm dreaming of spring already. There is just the matter of a cold winter to get through first!

Lin said...

Beautiful Maria. xx

Sue said...

Thank you for the walk around your garden, Maria. Spring is such a lovely time of the year. :-)

Vireya said...

Thanks for the spring garden tour! It's specially nice because I've got almost nothing in flower here at the moment. But maybe I'll have some summer flowers to show.

margaret said...

so colourful no doubt you are enjoying this lovely arden whilst recovering, so much nicer than winter rain too look out onto

Yvonne W said...

You do have a pretty garden, I guess it s too difficult to get the brush turkeys to move elsewhere. Thankfully we do not have those here-- just possums who eat our vegies instead. I do hope you are feeling a lot better-- and you will be able to have more solid foods soon.