Search This Blog

Thursday, October 8, 2015

More medically speaking...

DH has been in the wards again...this time at the Wesley Hospital. A few weeks ago it was just a 'day out' while he had a biopsy. The poor boy didn't feel too good after the procedure...nausea and 'ouchy bits' are not pleasant!

 I had stayed at the hospital rather than going home and coming back, but when they called me up to the ward, the staff were still 'keeping an eye on' DH until he felt a bit better...so I sat beside him...
And took photos of the curtains around the bed...
They are disposable curtains! What will they think of next?
And then I decided to look out of the window above the bed...
And there was the lovely old house, 'Moorlands', which was originally the home of the Mayne Family in historic Brisbane. The Methodist Church (now Uniting Church) bought the property in 1971 and the Wesley hospital (opened 1977) was built behind the old house...what an intriguing looking old house!
Eventually I was able to drive DH home...
 Then on Monday this week he was back there for an operation which is sometimes called a 'rebore'. (older men stuff apparently, concerning the 'waterworks') And this time he had a 'sleep over' for a few nights.
Monday was a public holiday here in Brisbane and things were quite relaxed at the Wesley... instead of leaving DH and heading off, I was allowed to stay with him right up until he went into the theatre...
First stop...all changed and 'bestockinged' and be-slippered and sitting in the recliner chair...
 Hmmm...a little apprehensive??
 After a trip to the 'loo' a nurse makes sure he is warm...
 We're now in Pre-Op...I think the red hat looks like a clown wig!
 Not just stockings now...these little 'leggings' will help prevent possible clots...
 Ever the clown...DH heard one of the nurses asking 'someone to give her a hand'...so he does! :-/
 And just before 11.30 off DH went to the operating theatre and time for me to head downstairs to get a coffee and then find one of the lovely comfortable chairs in reception.
I also had some water from this bubbler...

 Ha ha! Do people occasionally cheat and have a drink before admission???

By 3 o'clock I could visit DH in the ward...he 'beat me' there by a mere 5 minutes! he was pleased to see me but what he really wanted to see was a glass of water and something to eat...but he had to wait awhile...
Eventually he got some sandwiches...first food in 18 hours!


Views of the Brisbane River from the windows in his hospital room...the view of Moorlands from the 7th floor...



 Looking towards the city...

After something to eat, DH quickly 'picked up'...because of the nausea with the anesthetic for the biopsy, he had a 'spinal' this time so he was clearheaded and the numbness in the legs soon wore off. So when his brother rang my mobile to see how DH was, I just handed the phone to DH, so he could tell David how he felt, himself. 


Views from the window near the lift well on the 7th floor...


The car park saga...
The walkway linking the carpark to various parts of the hospital always reminds me of an 'air bridge'
I make no secret of the fact that I don't really like 'high rise' carparks. I often have to get out of my car to get the ticket from the machine at entry because I'm too short and can't reach from the car. Well the Wesley Hospital carpark is ticketless...you drive up to the boom gate, your number plate is recorded and the gate goes up.
When you are leaving you can use PayWave at the gate or you can pay at one of the machines before returning to your car...easy right? I thought I would use PayWave...'tapped' the machine...the gate didn't go up. Tried again...then got out of the car and tried again. Then the machine 'told me' to insert the card in another slot...nothing...but the second time the gate went up! None of the people in the queue behind me had beeped...thank goodness!
So this all happened when I went to get the car on 'Biopsy day' and drive around to the front of the hospital. I decided I would use the machines on any other visits...but...the machines kept rejecting my cards (yep, I tried both Visa cards ) until finally the payment went through...but the good news is that, at the gate, that boom went up every time. Phew! lol
The most important good news however, is that DH came home from hospital on Wednesday; his doctor is very pleased with how the op went and so now he is recovering at home getting lots of TLC and resting. 

9 comments:

Vireya said...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mr Next Stage!

Cynthia said...

Those are well-documented hospital days. Glad the procedures went well and wishing and quick recovery fo your husband. Please tell him the red hat looks smashing on him!

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria i am so glad that your hubby is ok,lovely views from the hospital too,xx

Cath said...

Glad DH is doing well...sounds like the same procedure my hubs had and he stayed overnight. He refused to let me come in and even insisted that I drop him off and pick him up on the corner near the Wesley...hates a fuss!

Unknown said...

So glad to hear it all went well.

Maria said...

pleased alls well and hope Mr Maria doesn't need to go to hosp[ital again for a long while.....

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Lots of TLC and resting is great for recovery. May his be speedy.

FlowerLady

margaret said...

am behind on blogs but g=have ready your newer blog to say he is back n hosptial do hope he will be home soon

angela said...

Glad to hear all went well with the op. I hate hospital car parks. All that walking to the machines to park and then to your car and inset the ticket and pray it goes up and then the panic to get through before the boom comes down lol yup I have anxiety lol