Search This Blog

Friday, October 2, 2015

Friday Night with Friends...

The first Friday night of the month in Blogland, is Friday Night with Friends (FNwF) . As the night rolls on through the various time zones, 'crafty' bloggers work on their individual projects, then share on their blog the progress on the various projects. Cheryll over at the Gone Stitchin' blog, is the organiser of this event and in this post of hers you can access the links to all those who signed on for this month.

So, what did I work on? Since I came back from our holiday I have alternated between sewing hexie flowers, and, joining donated squares into blankets. (Just before we went away I was given several lots of squares from a few sources but left the joining of them until we came home.)
And it was the latter that I worked on last night. 
I finished putting together 30 squares which used indigenous colours. One of the other ladies in K4BN had crocheted the squares for me to join, as items in indigenous colours are very popular and are so often requested by community groups that the group supplies items to, for distribution to their clients.


On Tuesday at a Knit and Natter, I was shown another way to join squares which is quicker and uses less joining yarn. 
Instead of the dc (or sc in US terms) into each space like I usually do...


I was shown this method that does, 1 dc, 3ch and then 1 dc in the space after the cluster of trebles. 
The join is strong and looks neat, so I'm happy to continue using this method. 
And I finished the blanket with just 2 rows of double crochet around the edges. 
I use a lot of black yarn joining squares and earlier this year my supply was starting to run low. I checked out a number of stores online, (as well as Big W, Spotlight, Lincraft etc) and kept 'doing the sums' with adding postage etc and eventually found a listing on EBay for 12, 100 g balls of acrylic 8 ply. Adding on the postage, the unit price came out to be $2.60 a ball, a good price for us here in Australia. And I started using this supply yesterday...using the method of joining I described in this post, should mean this stash of black yarn should last awhile.

On Tuesday I took several bags of squares along to the Knit and Natter hoping to find some volunteers to join them...I was feeling overwhelmed with all the squares that I had to join. I'm pleased to say that 2 people took all the squares and I feel a great weight has been lifted. I'll be able to get on with some other projects of my own. And there is a lot more free space in my sewing room. Also, I've found renewed enthusiasm to join the remaining squares (I only gave away half of what I had to join) and have joined/made  6 blankets since last Tuesday!
Hmm...I've had a few goes at trying to get these photos to insert without rotating...no luck!
 These are the the squares that I gave away!
 Why not visit some of the other participants in FNwF? Just use the link to Cheryll's post.



11 comments:

margaret said...

I have not seen that way of joining blocks before as it uses less wool and is quicker it is a go way to go and looks really good too.. Good to read 2 otjers are helping you with the making up of the blankets

doodles n daydreams said...

You are busy Maria, I'm glad you have found some help to make up the blankets.
I've been enjoying your holiday posts as well. Hoping your weekend is a good one.

Diana

angela said...

I'm glad someone else took some squares to join. We do the same at our knit group. That way it all gets spread around and no one has the job on their own. great work xxx

Michelle Ridgway said...

Great work Maria. Sure to be very much appreciated.

Maria said...

tha looks like a much better way to join all your squares. Quicker, looks good and uses less wool.
WOW!thats a great price for those 100 gram balls Maria....
Nice to have some others help put the squares together...

Lin said...

Glad you are getting some help with the joining Maria - can't be the most exciting job. But you do make such a beautiful job of it and the new method looks ideal. xx

Janice said...

I need to try that method of joining squares.... looks good. Jx

Bev C said...

Hello Maria,

You are an absolute angel doing all the charity sewing and knitting. I am sure your rugs are much appreciated. Learning new ways to join the rugs which uses less wool is fantastic.
Hope you get to do lots of your own sewing this week. Your two friends are angel's too.

Happy days.
Bev.

Dorothy said...

Looks like a good way to join squares Maria. Now I'm going to have to make a few granny's so I can try it myself. Do you hold the squares wrong sides together? xox

Susan said...

As they say....never to old to learn something new.....I'll keep my eyes open for black yarn now...if I see it on special I'll grab some for you....I have a pile of squares to add to your load too....and when it comes time to find a colour I'll try for red and yellow in stead of pink and purple.
And a ...well done... On your community efforts.

Cath said...

Hello Maria...I love to crochet but the joining is my hiccup point which is why I haven't finished anything yet! I might study your post and see if I can do it.