Search This Blog

Friday, September 25, 2015

A bit more exploring in Seattle...

Although I was only there for a few days (Sat-Mon), I found Seattle to be a charming city with lots to explore. We stayed at a hotel that was close to so many attractions as well as the centre of the city, and walking around was very pleasant. 
In the side street near our hotel, a festival was in full swing on the Sunday to say goodbye to Summer. 

In a previous post I mentioned the cafe next door to the hotel...
The tree lined streets and the gardens added to the charm...


The view, looking the other way from the hotel...towards the centre of the city.
 Similar buses to what we had seen in LA.
We didn't ride in any Seattle buses but we did catch the monorail...here's the sign letting us know that the monorail station is in the building adjacent.

We rode the monorail to the Space Needle, which is a well known landmark (icon really) in Seattle. Being the weekend, there was a bit of a wait to travel up to the observation level of the Space Needle, so we walked around the large parklands that surround it. 


The gardens were beautiful...


 A lovely quote...

Also in these parklands were the Chihuly Gardens; these are filled with fantastic looking glass sculptures of plants...we didn't go into this area but here is a link to visitors' photos of those who did pay to go in and marvel...
DH and I checked out the Sonic Bloom Installation which was also made of glass...these huge glass flowers light up at night due to the stored energy from the solar cells that are incorporated into the sculpture.


After walking around for a while, we found a seat and 'watched the world go by'...(I was also checking the photos I took with my iPad)...but I had this feeling that someone was watching me!
 Someone else was having a 'sit down ' too! lol
Love the 'dog'!
The nearby playground was very busy!

 Looking from an Australian educator aspect I was amazed by a couple of thing...
How high that climbing net went...and not a bit of 'impact absorbing' materials beneath these activity areas in sight. I guess Aussie regulations are a bit different to those in Washington State.
I reckon those adults were having as much fun as the children...maybe more?
Eventually it was finally time to line up, to go up to the Observation deck of the SkyNeedle ...but I'll save all that for another post!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An interesting tour around Seattle Maria. I cannot think about Seattle without "Frasier". Don't suppose you bumped into him.

Marit Johanne said...

Very interesting to see all your pictures from Seattle.