Search This Blog

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Just a few more things...

I know I've already written about the recent birthdays' celebrations,  but here's some 'after thoughts'. 

I wrote about a friend's 80th but I forgot to include the photo of her card and gift from DH and I. 
The card came from that Japanese shop, Daiso, whose city shop I explored early in May. 
I usually get DH to write out cards, as he seems to always say something which amuses...
Can you tell that he was involved in elections in his working life, with all that counting and recounting? Lol.  In case you can't read what he wrote,here is what he said...
' Dear Lee,
We think you should demand a recount! You can't possibly be 70, let alone 80!'....

To go with the card, I bought a selection of 'scratchits'...you scratch off the coating and if you can match up 3 symbols the same, you win some money...if you are lucky! 
The report from Lee was that although she didn't win enough for an overseas holiday, she did win a small amount. 
On the very last day of May was a meetup for Sunday Stitchers. There were 2 of us who had celebrated our birthdays in May and consequently everyone bought us a fat quarter. It was such a lot of fun wrapping all these! Very lucky aren't I having 2 celebrations ? :-)

I brought  along a birthday cake for Maree and I...I had planned to make it but instead went to Michele's Patisserie, hoping to buy one of their small mud cakes but they didn't have any so I finally settled on this one called a Surprise Cake...we are all still wondering what the surprise is...as we found nothing surprising!!! Lol. 

Now talking of cakes brings me to my brother in law's birthday in early June...
We gathered for lunch at his place....
And of course there was cake! And what a cake it was! 
The cake came from the French and Mor cafe in nearby Albany Creek. This is where the Sunday Stitchers indulged in a high tea last year, and we had all loved it. I didn't know you could buy cakes from there but my clever sister in law knew. The cake not only looked magnificent, but it was pretty good in the eating too...I just had a tiny piece and it was worth every calorie! Lol. It had some crunchy bits mixed in with a creamy layer and I think it was like crushed up toffee in a caramel....
Here's a photo from French and Mor's website which is a close up of the cake...
And that is a macaroon in the chocolate 'petals'...

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

It's worth it to have another birthday just to have those yummy cakes! Definitely worth the calories, I say.

Anonymous said...

I love the way you have displayed your photographs on this blog post Maria. Artistic.

Yes, it's 2am. I have a touch of insomnia tonight so I got up and I've just made three jars of Choko, Lime and Ginger preserve. I had to go back into my own blog to find the recipe.
No point in wasting time counting sheep when you could be jam making. Jean.

margaret said...

very tempting I do enjoy a good cake. What a lovely thing to give a fat quarter on a birthday.

Sue (this n that) said...

Wow .. those cakes! Love the wording in Lee's card - perfect :D)