Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Medically Speaking...

DH and I continue visiting and seeing inside various hospitals...lol.
DH went back to the River City hospital for another sleepover...this time to test a CPAP machine and accompanying mask...

His doctor was pleased with the data collected via those 'wires', so very soon DH will get his very own mask and hire a CPAP machine for 2 months to see how things go. 

Last Friday it was my turn to head off for a test. So off I went to Greenslopes Private Hospital for a Myocardial Perfusion Study...that took 3 hours of the morning, although most of the time was spent in various waiting rooms. 


I had one of these tests quite a few years ago but didn't seem to remember much about it except I was a 'complete idiot' on the treadmill as I kept losing my balance when they ramped up the speed :-/. That time they ended up giving me an injection which made my heart work as though I was doing vigorous exercise even though I was lying down 'relaxing'. 

This time after the first isotope was injected, I went to another room where some imaging was done, including CT scan...now why did I keep thinking of that old circus act, the lady shot from the cannon, during this procedure!!??
Then it was back to another room to wait for a doctor to come and explain about an injection of adenosine which would make my heart 'go like the clappers'...Yes! Once again I had escaped the treadmill!! I was warned that the reaction was quite nasty but only for 4 minutes...and it was rather yuck...difficulty breathing and a real sick feeling...but it was over quickly. Then on to another room for the second isotope...
I was then taken to another room...and this is what was there...
Not particularly salubrious, but there was a little room off this area...
A large platter of sandwiches and tea and coffee making facilities...

And on the little fridge there was another platter...

Fruit!
Did I mention that I had been fasting? Well I had been since the previous evening...
I made a coffee and loaded a plate with a sandwich and some fruit. Before I had finished, I was being 'collected' to walk back around to the room with the MRI. More scanned images and another few minutes in the 'tube'. 
Then it was back to the waiting room near reception to wait for my folder of images and other data. 

My purple, blue and orange images...My doc had said they were looking at blood flow...

When I got home I realised I still had some sticky 'pads' left on...
I suspect the report I was given is not as detailed as what Nik, my doctor will get. So I will have to wait until March 17 to find out how things went.  
 

8 comments:

Susan said...

Hopefully it all went OK Maria - I loathe those treadmills too...

Anthea said...

I hope it's going to be nothing but good news Maria... what a hoop-la it all was!

Denice Barker said...

The whole ordeal must have felt like being on a treadmill! I hope everything comes out all right for the both of you.

Cynthia said...

Not where you want to be spending your days, I'm sure, and in the end I hope all will be well. Stay positive!

Anonymous said...

You and DH have been busy medically speaking. I do hope the outcome for both of you is very positive.

I am left in wonder at modern medicine and the things they can do to check on our health. Even as far as going into the "cannon" for an imaging as you did.

Good luck with your results.

Sue (this n that) said...

Doesn't DH look incredible with the mask and equipment on - ?Spaceman. Hopefully, he will get a better quality sleep with the machine.
Your procedure was full-on. I think you're very brave, breezing through those scans, mri etc. That was a lovely sight... those platters, very thoughtful.
All the best Maria, a fairly long wait for results but trust they will be what you want to hear. Hugs :D) xx

Mizumatte said...

i really hope you are okey and the results are fine.take care Jaana

Vireya said...

Hope it is all good news when you get it!