Search This Blog

Monday, October 28, 2013

My stay at the 'Mater Mirage'...

Well a friend told me before I went to hospital that the Mater Private Hospital is nicknamed Mater Mirage after the resort chain here in Australia. I had a very comfortable stay but I think the real Mirage resorts might be a bit miffed by the comparison! lol
This is the hospital reception at 5.50 in the morning. The reception desk doesn't open until 6...

 At 6 am all the patients waiting, made a line and as each of us got to the front of the line, gave our name, we were given some sheets to fill out. Sitting down, filling in the pages, I couldn't stop myself from commenting rather loudly, ' I've filled these same forms out once already and posted them to the hospital and have also given the answers over the phone to the admissions' nurse, twice. I reckon they have given them to us once again to keep us quiet and focussed'...the woman next to me agreed that was probably the plan! lol

Then my name was called and DH and I, plus another couple were taken up to the Welcome Lounge. Here there were comfy chairs, 2 computer stations and a TV viewing area...

A couple of patients were watching one of the morning shows...


I sat on the sofa and contemplated what was ahead of me...

It wasn't very long before my reverie was interrupted by my name being called. DH and I went for my interview with the nurse, then a consultation with my charming Irish (from Dublin) anesthetist, Janne. Then it was time for DH to go, and the staff prepared me for theatre. I changed into my theatre garb; paper pants, paper hat and shoes and a quite nice hospital gown made of pretty patterned fabric. I was wheeled into theatre, chatted with the theatre staff and then, the next thing I remember, I was back in Recovery.  
I had no idea of time but there was a clock in Recovery that showed the time was after 12 noon. So not long after that I was transferred to my private room...DH arrived very soon after that.
Egads! The walls of my private room were made of fabric???  Yep! The hospital was short on single rooms so I was sharing with 3 other ladies. Two of the other ladies were so ill from the anesthetic, I counted myself lucky that I was so well...


Later in the day, I asked DH to get out my bag of crocheting and I did a few rounds...

Some lovely flowers arrived which brightened up 'my room'...they were from my SiL and BiL who were away holidaying...so lovely!

I asked DH to take a photo of my legs. As well as the white compression stockings, each leg was encased in these. The nurses who put them on me before the op, joked that they were just like cricketer pads! They were connected to a little compressor under the bed and the air sacs would fill with air and then relax; one leg after another, all through the op and into the next day. The physio told me later that they were giving the same effect as if I was walking around instead of being confined to bed for 24 hours. The goal being to prevent blood clots etc.
 Bed lowered now to help drift off to sleep...

More of my Mater adventures next time...

8 comments:

Tanya Murray said...

I don't know that I can express my sentiments properly but I will try. At first glance this may have looked like a pretty banal subject but I found it quite interesting and I am again awed by your ability to tell a "good yarn" from the ordinary every day life things. I say that with the greatest respect and do not wish to trivialise your experiences. I do so hope you know where I am coming from. Thanks for taking the simple and seeing an opportunity, I guess that's what I wanted to say. Mend quickly, love Tanya x

Noela said...

An interesting post Maria. Thanks for sharing and showing what happens, a bit less mystery if we end up in there at some stage. Hugs.......

Janice said...

I am so impressed by the compression stockings.....my hospital is still using the normal tight fitting thick compression stockings, like flight socks....these sound amazing. So glad all has gone well. Jx

Dorothy said...

Shame about your 'private room'Maria. Same thing happened to me when I was in hospital for 2 weeks in August. Private patient but was in a room with a dear but very old lady with dementia, a 21 year old who was paranoid about everything and a lady who was brought in because she'd had too much to drink. Fun fun fun !!! The latter walked out of the place after 2 or 3 days without telling anyone. I'm glad you're home and recovering well. xox

Susan said...

NO, not quite the Mirage but it could be a lot worse I am sure. Thank you for getting us "in the know" - was it irritating to have your legs pumped all the time??

Lin said...

Thank you for sharing this with us Maria - very brave of you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post Maria. The Mater (Mirage) is my local so it was very helpful. Brave of you to share it too.
Hope you are getting better and better every day. Love. Jean

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I agree you are very brave...take care, lots of rest..