Search This Blog

Friday, September 6, 2013

The Sunshine Linus Quilt Show and Open Day...

As promised, here is a post giving more details about this wonderful event that we attended in Nambour last Saturday.
As we pulled into the parking lot, it was very obvious from the number of cars, that this Quilt Show was well attended. Things were really bustling when we entered the Uniting Church Hall.  We paid our small entry fee and bought some raffle tickets, and, like all the visitors before us, we were given a gift at the door...
These sweet little packages...

When opened revealed a tea-bag and a lovely message from the Sunshine Linus group...
What a lovely way to welcome visitors!
Hehe...poor DH is just biting into the delicious scone that came with our complimentary cuppa.

 One of the quilts hanging near the eating area.

There was a series of display boards, showing the variety of items made by the Sunshine Linus group...here is one of the aprons which are used to amuse and calm dementia patients in nursing homes.
 And one for the 'boys'...

Lots of items stitched on this one!


 The next item is one of the 'touchy feely' quilts...

Two ladies were stitching away on their sewing machines and fielding questions about the group's work.
There were stalls run by local quilt shops...the one featured in the photo below was 'The Patchwork Angel' from Forest Glen.

The ladies from Sunshine Linus had many beautifully made items for sale...here is a cane lounge covered with cushions for sale...also in this photo is a glimpse of another area set up with beautiful items for sale...


Here's a lovely quilt just near the entry to the church...


 And now, this is my first view of the quilts on display in the church...a breathtaking sight! Quilts draped over the pews, quilts hanging up along the sides! The quilts around the walls of the church were all on loan for the show, personal quilts made by members of Sunshine Linus...the ones on the seats were examples of the quilts made to give away.

The soaring ceiling of this beautiful church was a wonderful backdrop for these quilts.



DH walked around with me, enjoying looking at the various quilts...the quilt below was one of his favourites! 




And this one was another of his favourites...we asked one of the attendants if she could possibly check the details on the labels for us...the label told us that the quilt was made by 'Granny Gray' so a lucky grandchild has a beautiful and fun quilt!

This one caught my eye...so much work involved!

Now this child's quilt hanging over a pew caught my eye...that fabric looked familiar! Yes it was part of the bundle of fabrics that I donated a short while ago. So good to see it being used; the sashing fabric used with the panels I donated, is beautiful, as is the quilting. I was really chuffed to see this quilt!

Now who is this wandering around the goodies for sale section???
Why it's Marilyn!

For a while I have been a follower of the Sunshine Linus blog. I love reading about their meetings and looking at the photos of the beautiful items made by the members. One of the main writers of this blog is Bev, and it's Bev who replies if I leave a comment. So this Open Day was an excellent chance to meet her in person...and I did! 
Bev said that I'm much smaller in real- life and being photographed with me, she would look taller! lol
Bev commented that it's a bit lonely over at the Sunshine Linus blog, as hardly anyone leaves a comment. Why not use this link to visit that blog and make her day by leaving a comment. Bev also has different photos to mine so it will give you a chance to see more of that day!
Lastly a little look at some of the goodies that I bought. Unfortunately, for many of the items it can only be a glimpse, as they are gifts...
I bought myself a bag which has already been used to take projects to Sisters of Stitch last Wednesday...

Closeup of that cute panel...

Some fabrics I bought from Chris and Robyn of Bowerbirdy; just couldn't resist those colours!


A bundle of handmade cards...2 babies quilts
And some secret 'stuff' which is hidden from the camera! lol

(I also saw Lynda, but she escaped my camera's attention and next day I found out that I'd missed another friend who came after we had left. )

8 comments:

Lin said...

Thank you for sharing all this Maria - what an amazing collection of work in such a good cause. Love those fabrics that you bought! Just popping over to the Sunshine Linus blog.

Anonymous said...

I have really enjoyed this post Maria. Beautiful quilts and I can only guess at the hours of work involved in making such heirloom quilts.
Thank you for the link to the Sunshine Linus blog. I'll get over there.
You did well with your purchases, love the bag you treated yourself to.
Looks like a really good day out. I hope the group did well for their efforts.
Have a good weekend. Don't forget to vote! (as if we could with the constant bombardment )
Joking aside, I count myself lucky I live in a democracy where we all have the freedom to vote.

Claud said...

I need one that says "CC has the best bed in the house - mine!". He also has the couch or anything with a soft surface for that matter.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Claud & CC

bettsylyn (Lynda) said...

Oh, that was the bag I spotted to buy but at least I know it went to a good home. And I found I lovely bag instead - when I went to buy it the lady said that she had made it so I was able to tell her how beautiful her work was.

creations.1 said...

A lovely post Maria! beautiful work on display and the little door gifts are a great idea. Off to check out the Sunshine Linus blog and say hello to Bev!!

Susan said...

a great round up of the show - Ill definitely go and visit the blog - and add it to my list...maybe Ill get there next year..


Bev said...

Thanks for the shout Maria, it worked a real treat ! :-)

Chookyblue...... said...

so many quilts.......and catching up with the girls.........nice.......