Search This Blog

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Knit and Natter at Grovely...

Yesterday I went along to Yarn Over at Grovely for the monthly Knit and Natter there for K4BN. I had packed up the donations that I had been given to hand in...these lovely beanies...



And I had bagged up and labelled the blanket that I had sewn up...

As soon as I pulled up outside Gabby's shop I remembered that I had forgotten something that I wanted to give another member of the group...so I went back home for that! On the way back to Grovely, a dog ran out in front of my car, just near the bridge before Brookside...luckily I saw him out the corner of my right eye and braked...he got to the opposite footpath unscathed thank goodness!! So I started to wonder what the rest of my Saturday would bring...

The store started to get quite busy with a steady stream of customers...

In the photo below, note the man in the black shirts with the red stripe...

He came in to the store and voiced his concern about a car parked outside the store which had petrol leaking into the gutter...no one in the store owned the car, so Gabby the owner went and checked the other shops in the block and this man went to the houses across the road looking for the owner...

Taking no chances it was decided to ring 000. The fire department decided to send someone out...

Three of the firemen got out of the vehicle to deal with the issue... we all perved  gawked  looked out through  the shop window...the officers checked out the situation...

Yep! It is a petrol leak...we'll need to mop that up so it doesn't go into the drains... (see the box of a substance that looks just like 'kitty litter'...)


Checking right around the car...

And under the car!



The man in charge of the team declares the area safe with 'little significant risk' and he came inside to tell us the details...
The young 'firie' on the right of the photo was getting a lot of attention from the ladies in the shop...I think the term used these days is 'eye candy'....lol
 Then Karen (our K4BN leader) suggested to the senior fireman that it would be lovely if some of the ladies could get a photo with the officers...with my camera...and they agreed!

Then Rell offered to take a photo while I stood with the group...that fireman is sure tall!!!
Needless to say not all the knitters would come out to get in the photo...they preferred to watch through the window!
So after that little bit of excitement, it was back to knitting and chatting! lol

Still on knitting; here are some figures from Karen regarding donations to and from the group...

'So far this year Peter and I have given out just over 7,000 items to various organisations, hospitals; womens shelters, animal shelters etc. Which means at this stage we won't have the 5,000 items that Peter would like to take to Homeless Connect Day. But there are a few more knit and natters before HCD, so hopefully we will have that many to take with us, plus a couple of hundred filled toiletry bags!!!
And it isn't even winter yet, but the demand is getting worse and worse....BUT we can only do what we can. It is 10.417 items that the homeless/less fortunate wouldn't have, if not for this group!!'


Just a couple of little asides...


  • The owner of the car was found...a woman. She was given a lift home in the fire-truck! 
  • The tall fireman offered to take his shirt off for the photo but we thought it was a bit too cold to expect him to do that! :-/
  • A friend of my DD2 recognised the tall fireman as being the brother of a friend of hers...small world. 

6 comments:

Dorothy said...

What a charming guy he must have been to offer to strip for you lot !!!! :) I had the firemen to my house a month or so ago to install a couple of smoke alarms for me. Funnily, there was one young guy and he was definitely 'eye candy'. What is it about firemen ? Have a good week. xoxox

Susan said...

Gosh what an exciting day! Fortunately it turned out well.

Maria said...

WOW Maria lots of excitement for you today.
Pleased there was nothing serious to worry about.
How nice to have your photo taken with those guys..
Congratulations on having collected and made so many items for charity.

Anonymous said...

What an exciting day you had Maria.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

What a day and lucky all was safe with the leak!

Justjen said...

And I missed it all :-(