Search This Blog

Friday, January 4, 2013

Friday Night with Friends...

Some sewing...for my first swap of 2013...


As you can see I still stitch around my shapes when I have 'tricky corners' like these long hexies...
I ran out of cut papers so haven't stitched all my fabric hexagons over the papers. I also haven't decided yet what fabric I shall use to do the squares... I find it easier to decide after I've done the hexagons...
I 'played around' with the ones that I had stitched...

I still have some different fabrics with the sewing notions theme that I can cut more hexies out of, but I feel that now I've started, all those factors of introducing other colours/solids will just evolve.

And I also did some knitting...surprise surprise ???? lol I showed a photo in the New Year of the start of this project. It's a mohair throw and yet again another experiment... My SIL is 60 this year and I thought that I would make her a throw. But to make it more interesting I thought that I would use 60 different colours. The pattern does not use much yarn per colour block (mohair has long yardage in the balls/skeins) so with part balls and oddments from Ebay plus previous projects' leftovers, I reckon that I can 'pull this idea off'. So far I've used 25 different balls.

Oh and did I mention that I have a rather large stash of mohairs, colour coded and stored in large striped bags??? Most bought off Ebay but a number bought as souvenirs when we travel. Normally I avoid using my variegated yarns as they 'blur' the outline of the ripples/waves a bit, but to get my ball count I've decided to use them...and these mainly New Zealand mohairs are absolutely beautiful.

Some of my NZ variegated (hand dyes) yarn bought from a North island craft shop whilst on a holiday there. 

The phone camera doesn't do justice to the colours but it gives an idea of how the throw is growing...I do repeat some colours if I need a 'link' but these repeats are no counted towards the 60, nor is the black...I'll do updates every now and then to show how I'm going. Hopefully I won't run out of different colours.

4 comments:

Maria said...

You have had fun sewing your hexies,what great fabrics you are using.
I really like the way these hexies are going together...
Nice wool but it makes me feel hot.
Over 40 here today...

Anonymous said...

lots of hexies there Maria and boy love that throw the wool is gorgeous,well done.xx

Anthea said...

I love your paper piecing Maria, I will love to see the progress with it, and the mohair yarn is just gorgeous!

Marilyn said...

What you have done of the throw is gorgeous, and your mohair wools are so beautiful. Lovely hexies - will be watching out to see what colour square you use.